The mission of Operation Better Block, Inc. is to strategize, organize and mobilize, block by block, to benefit the Homewood Community. We do this by:
- Providing technical and community development assistance to Block Associations engaged in self-help projects and self-sufficiency initiatives;
- Fostering youth development through self-awareness, career exploration programs and community volunteer opportunities;
- Participating in housing development efforts to construct new housing units;
- Encouraging and supporting public and private investments to stimulate economic development in the community;
- Building cooperative partnerships with others to promote community sustainability.
Homewood is a livable, desirable community and recognized as such.
As we look beyond 2012. The vision of Operation Better Block is to have made a significant contribution to the revitalization of Homewood Brushton as one of the City’s premier residential neighborhoods. In cooperation with other partners in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors, we envision the reality of Homewood Brushton as a stable, economically viable, safe, and attractive neighborhood with a diverse population that is reasonably self-sufficient in its capacity to meet the challenges that it will continue to face. Together with our external partners we will:
- Encourage more economic investment in the community by promoting Homewood as a dynamic neighborhood.
- Stimulate and promote self sufficiency through developing indigenous leaders and providing a resource clearinghouse.
- Develop strong youth leaders who will participate in the creation of policy in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors.